Schaumburg Town Square
Suburbs across the country re creating a “Main Street” in hope of providing their community with a core – a gathering place they can call their own, a place where they can meet others and live and work in the community.
Schaumburg Town Square site sits on land steeped in the community’s German cultural heritage. In the mid 1800s, the intersection of Schaumburg and Roselle Roads contained the central business district of the small farming community of Sarah’s Grove.
In 1850, the area name was changed to Schaumburg, reflective of Schaumburg-Lippe area of Germany from where many settlers emigrated. This became the crossroads of town and became known as “Schaumburg Center”. In 1995, the Village of Schaumburg purchased Town Square shopping center, clearing way for complete redevelopment.
It started with one objective: Create an old fashioned downtown, a place where neighbors could run errands, enjoy entertainment, socialize, sip a cup of coffee, or borrow a library book. Upon completion, this 30-acre site not only achieved its objective, but has been recognized throughout the US as a shining example of urban renewal and forward thinking in architecture and land use.
LEGEND: Veteran’s Gateway Park, Ron Pande Memorial Fountain, Waterfall Garden, Amphitheater, “Sprit of the Prairie” sculpture, Gazebo, Rainbow Garden, Museum, Bridge and Creek and “Rubber-Tipped Crane” sculpture.