featured news



TA PROHM - UNESCO World Heritage Site [WHS], as part of Angkor Archaeological Park, listed as WHS in 1992.

Located approximately one kilometre east of Angkor Thom.

Built: Late 12th and early 13th centuries.

Creator: Jayavarman VII.

Sanctum: Buddha.

The temple is dedicated to the mother of Jayavarman VII.

The most distinctive feature of Ta Prohm is the giant root trees growing out of the ruins.

Ta Prohm is nicknamed the Tomb Raider temple.

Ta Prohm is one of “the big three” must see...

Read more


PREAH KHAN - UNESCO World Heritage Site [WHS], as part of Angkor Archaeological Park, listed as WHS in 1992.

Location: Northeast of Angkor Thom and west of Jayatataka baray.

Built: 12th century.

Creator:  Jayavarman VII

Sanctum: Buddha / Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara.

The temple was built on the site of Jayavarman VII's victory over the invading Chams in 1191.

The modern name, meaning "holy sword", is derived from the meaning of the original—Nagara Jayasri meaning "holy city of victory."

The temple is dedicated to Jayavarman VII's father.  The...

Read more


NEAK PEAN -UNESCO World Heritage Site [WHS], as part of Angkor Archaeological Park, listed as WHS in 1992.

Location: circular island in Jayatataka Baray, which was associated with Preah Khan temple.

Built: 12th century

Creator: Jayavarman VII

Sanctum: Buddha.

Neak Pean means the "entwined serpents."

Neak Pean was originally designed for medical purposes. Tt is one of the many hospitals that Jayavarman VII built.


Read more



BANTEAY SRIE - - UNESCO World Heritage Site [WHS], as part of Angkor Archaeological Park, listed as WHS in 1992.

Consecrated: 967

Creator: Yajnavaraha

Sanctum: Shiva temple

The temple is said to be the "Jewel of Khmer Art."

In Khmer, the temple's name Banteay Srie means  "citadel of the women". Though the original name is "Tribhuvanamaheśvara," [meaning Great Lord of the Threefold World], an appellation of the god Shiva.

Banteay Srie is a UNESCO World Heritage Site [WHS], as part of Angkor Archaeological Park, which was listed...

Read more


Rodin: Sculptor and Storyteller

Temporary Exhibition: March 4, 2018.

Location: The Art Institute of Chicago / Gallery 246.

The public are weary of statues that say nothing. Well, here is a man coming forward whose statues live and speak, and speak things worth uttering. —Robert Louis Stevenson, 1886.

The year 2017 marks the 100 years of the death of Auguste Rodin [1840–1917]. At the beginning of the 20th century, Rodin was the most famous artist in the world. On the centenary of his death, the Art Institute...
Read more


The Hand of God - by Auguste Rodin

Modeled 1898, cast 1920s or earlier.

Exhibition:  Rodin: Sculptor and Storyteller

Location: Art Institute of Chicago.

The sculpture evokes the biblical account of the creation of human kind, which Rodin imagined as an act of sculpting. The work depicts an embryonic couple, probably Adam and Eve, emerging from a formless mass cradled in God's hand. Rodin distilled the story of its essential elements by reducing the figure of God to a single massive hand. Read more


Carved transom [ramma] panels from the Phoenix Hall [Hooden] - by Takamura Koun

Transom Panels from Phoenix Hall at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition

Location: Art Institute of Chicago Gallery 100 / Japanese Art Galleries

Wood with polychromy /  31 ¼  x  109 3/4  x  3 inches each.

In the Weston Wing for Japanese Art are four carved wooden architectural transoms (ramma panels) that were created by master Buddhist sculptor Takamara Koun for the Japanese pavilion, the...
Read more


The Franke Reading Room at the Art Institute of Chicago

of the Ryerson & Burnham Libraries.

Originally two separate libraries, the Ryerson Library and the Burnham Library of Architecture, the two merged in 1957.

The Franke Reading Room, the original Ryerson Library, was designed by the Boston firm Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, at a former courtyard in 1893.

The skylight was designed by Louis J. Millet.

The decorative color scheme was designed by Elmer Garnsey.

In 1994,...

Read more


The Fullerton Hall at The Art Innstitute of Chicago

Completed: 1898

Stained glass dome designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany.

Stained glass dome completed: 1901.

In 1901, the Fullerton Hall's pendant space, the Ryerson Library was completed as well.

Built in 1898, Fullerton Hall was added to the north side of the museum's main-floor lobby in an area that had once been an open court.

Louis Comfort Tiffany designed the exquisite stained-glass dome, which still illuminates the...

Read more