Category Archives: Places of Worship: Churches & more

 

.

St. James Chapel at the Archbishop Quigley Center

Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary was an American seminary preparatory school administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago for young men considering the priesthood. It was closed down in June 2007; and reopened in December 2008 as the completely refurbished Archbishop Quigley Center.

The Saint James Chapel...

Read more

 

.

The Moody Church

Evangelical Christian [Nondenominational Christianity] church

Completed: 1925

Architects: Fugard and Knapp

Location: 1635 North LaSalle, Chicago, Illinois 60614. Corners of North Avenue, Clark Street, and LaSalle Street; Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago.

.

  (more…)

...
Read more
 

.

St. Peter's in the Loop, Chicago.

Location: 110 W. Madison St, Chicago.

St. Peter's Church is a Roman Catholic Church located in the Loop, Chicago.

It was founded in 1846 and moved from an 1865 structure to its current Art Deco home in the 1950s.

The facade is dominated by a large crucifix designed by Latvian sculptor Arvid...

Read more

 

.

St. John Cantius Church

Location: 825 N. Carpenter St., Chicago, Illinois 60642-5499.

Founded in 1893, to relieve overcrowding at St. Stanislaus Kostka Church on Noble St., the oldest Polish parish in Chicago.

The structure construction work began in 1893 and was completed by 1898.

Architect: Adolphus Druiding

St. John Cantius Parish is a historic church of the Roman...
Read more
 

.

Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica

The church was declared a basilica by the Vatican in 1956.

Officially named as "The Basilica Of Our Lady Of Sorrows" is a Roman Catholic basilica on the west side of Chicago, Illinois. It is located at 3121 West Jackson Boulevard, adjacent to I-290.

The church was designated a basilica in 1956 by Pope Pius...

Read more
 

.

Chicago Loop Synagogue

Location: 16 S Clark Street, Chicago.

The Loop Synagogue was founded in 1929 to serve the religious needs of Orthodox Jews working downtown as well as Jewish visitors to Chicago. The current building was built in 1957 to replace a structure on the same block that had been lost to fire. It is designed by the firm of L Loebl,...

Read more
 

.

St. Michael's Church

Location: Old Town neighborhood of Chicago / 1633 N Cleveland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60614.

Architect: John Dillenburg and Augustus Wallbaum

Completed: 1869. Most of the building was destroyed in the 1871 Chicago Fire, but the walls and tower survived and the rest was rebuilt within about two years. Rebuilt 1871-73, steeple added 1888. Red brick...

Read more
 

.

  Ukrainian Catholics are Eastern Rite Christians who follow the Byzantine-Slavonic traditions, have their own Patriarch and are in communion with Rome. The idea of St. Nicholas Parish was first conceived in 1905 by a small group of Ukrainian laborers. By 1906 they had raised enough funds to acquire their first church, which was located at Bishop and Superior streets, from a Danish Protestant congregation. As...
Read more

.

St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral

Location: Ukrainian Village Address: 2250 W Cortez St, Chicago, IL 60622.

Architect: Worthmann & Steinbach, 1913.

Visited the cathedral as part of 2015 Chicago Open House..

Saint Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral was organized in 1916 and originally located on Erie St. near Damen Ave. It was the center of the Ukrainian Orthodox community in Chicago...

Read more