Bridgnorth Town Hall
Town Hall on Stilts
Constructed: 1652 / Modified 1887
Bridgnorth Town Hall: Highlights:
– Bridgnorth Town Hall was constructed in 1652. For more than 350 years, this Town Hall has played an important role in the civic and legal life of the town.
– Constructed in 1652, the Bridgnorth Town Hall is actually an oak framed hall sitting atop stone pillars. Town Hall was constructed on stilts, so as to provide a covered market place on the ground floor, whereas administrative works could be carried out upstairs. Weekly markets are still held on the ground-floor every Friday and Saturday.
– Underneath, in the market space, there is an excellent time line on the wall, charting Bridgnorth’s history from 895 with the Vikings through to the late 1990’s. It depicts all the ups and downs in the town’s history including the Black Death, the Civil War, fire, cholera, the beginning and end of the Bridgnorth port, the building and restoration of the Town Hall and much more.
– The oak framed Town Hall atop the colonnaded stone pillars, was constructed in 1652 from a redundant tithe barn donated by a Lady Bertie from the town of Much Wenlock.
– The interior comprises of the Council Chamber, the Court Room and a Waiting Room [which now serves as a Tea Room].
– Its crowning glory is the stained glass windows – installed in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee – regarded as some of the finest work of the 19th century.
– The only remaining ‘made-in-Bridgnorth’ carpet known to be on public display – a five colour Wilton with 27 joins made in 1887 [The year the Town Hall was renovated and stained glass windows were installed].
– Victorian coat of arms can be seen both inside and outside on the ends of the building.
Motto: Fidelitas Urbis Salus Regis; translates to: “In the town’s loyalty lies the King’s safety”.
Photo Gallery : Bridgnorth Town Hall
Bridgnorth Town Hall – Town Hall of Stilts! In the Middle Ages such barns on stilts market-halls were common through England and in Europe. They all had almost similar looks with colonnaded ground floor and a flight of steps taking upstairs. These served twin purposes. On the ground floor, traders could carry out their business without the fear of rain; and upstairs in the Town Hall, the administrative works could be carried out. But by early 19th century, these market-halls lost their popularity. Markets were expanding needing more spacious accommodation, town halls were much more imposing. Bridgnorth is one of the surviving market-hall which still carries on its original function!!!
2014 vacation: UK.. click here..